This is my favorite time of year. Here are some reasons why:
1. New Christmas carols, especially “Winter Wonderland” by Jason Mraz, “Manger Throne” by Third Day, and “Christmas is All Around” by a fictional artist named Billy Mack. And, of course, anything by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
2. Great friends who offer to take me to hear TSO in concert this Saturday in Dallas.
3. Old Christmas carols, especially “O Holy Night,” O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” and “O Come, All Ye Faithful.” And “Carol of the Bells” in every variety.
5. Beautiful and nutrient-free snacks, and lots of excuses to eat them.
6. The Advent Wreath
7. Christmas cards with pictures in them.
8. Christmas gifts from students.
9. Christmas gifts from everybody else.
10. Online shopping.
11. Two and a half weeks off.
12. How clean my house is right before a party, and about an hour after.
13. My tree, finally finished and with gifts underneath.
14. Finding the perfect gift for someone else.
15. Parties with friends.
16. Parties with family.
A few things I don’t like about this season, just to keep this from getting too warm and fuzzy:
1. Classic Christmas movies such as “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “White Christmas.” Yawn!
2. Going back to school after a long break.
3. Standing outside in the sleet parking cars to make some Christmas gift bucks.
4. Saying thank you for gifts that aren’t really my style.
5. Still eating leftovers after three days of eating leftovers.
6. Taking down decorations.