At the start of the summer, all of the major components of our life seemed up in the air: home, job, income, etc. Now as school is starting to gear up again, we’re happy to report that most of our major questions have been resolved.
- Where will we live in six weeks? We have a house, although it was not ready for us to move in as early as we’d hoped. We had to do more structural kinds of repairs than I had expected, but we’re on the downhill side now, and Stephen and his dad are working to put Humpty back together again so that we can move (hopefully!) in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, we’re camping at our parents’ houses and enjoying lots of free food.
- Are Jim and Pam actually going to get engaged? Still no word on this front. But The Office starts back up on Sept. 25, so we’ll see how things turn out.
- What will I do with myself this summer? I’d give myself a B+ on productivity this summer. I’ve done quite a bit of reading (although I have a few hundred pages to go in Anna Karenina, to my disappointment), gotten some school work done, and I’ve put in hours of grueling, sweaty labor at the new house. All of my house work cancels out the time I wasted watching Jon and Kate Plus 8 and America’s Test Kitchen.
- What am I going to do with the students whose parents have hired me as a tutor this summer? Don’t care about this any more. I did what I needed to, and I’m glad to be done!
- Will Hillary Clinton become Barack Obama’s running mate? Who will John McCain pick as his #2? Hillary looks like an unlikely possibility at this point, but the jury is still out on the potential veeps. I’m hoping for Romney to run with McCain.
- Which of my belongings could I stand to part with? Hmm, not many, as it turns out.
- Why am I falling asleep in the afternoon even when I’ve had plenty of sleep the night before? I’m still working on this question, although I don’t feel guilty about napping right now, as my remaining summer days are down into the single digits!
- Where has the time gone? Hmm, I’m wondering this even more now! July was a blink.
Well, there you have it–all of our updates. Once we get actually moved into our beloved house and get everything unpacked (how unpacking will go in the middle of back-to-school is still uncertain) we’ll feel completely settled and lacking for nothing. But until then, when my blog posting is sketchy and my blog comments nonexistent, you’ll know why.