I’m trying to find new ways to love eating at home…
1. Snack on-the-go
Spray one side of a tortilla with olive oil. Lay in a small skillet, top with cheese, toast until cheese is melted. Fold in half to eat.
2. You Can Call This Lunch
Butter one side of two tortillas. Layer in a skillet with butter sides facing “out” and cheese on the inside. Cook until toasted and cheese is melted, flipping with a spatula to evenly toast both sides. Cut into fourths and eat with salsa for some extra nutrients. Simply delicious.
3. Lunch + Protein
Follow the same directions as above, but mix tiny chopped up bits of steak or chicken with the cheese (this is a great way to use fajita or taco leftovers).
4. Lunch + Protein, vegetarian style
Follow same directions as above, but before adding cheese, spread a layer of refried beans on the inside of one of the tortillas. I buy nonfat refried black beans, and I plan to experiment with making my own bean paste using whole black beans and a food processor to make the bean layer even more healthy.
5. Quesadillas Mas Grande- can fill up a husband at dinnertime
1. Heat a drop of olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Add frozen corn and minced red onion. Saute until corn is toasted and onion is soft. Add rinsed and drained black beans, heat through. Use a fork to mash the mixture together a little bit.
2. Spray the outside of a tortilla with olive oil, lightly salt. Lay in skillet oil-side down, top with a layer of the bean mixture, and sprinkle with cheese. Top with another tortilla, oiled and salted on the “top” side. Toast until cheese is melted and bottom tortilla is crispy, carefully flip to toast other side.
Tips for All Stages:
1. Do not flip quesadilla until cheese is mostly melted. Your filling will fly everywhere.
2. If you are making more than one quesadilla, cool off your skillet between each one by running cold water on it and drying it with a towel. Otherwise as the pan gets hot, the tortillas will cook faster than your cheese melts and you’ll have to eat your quesadilla extra crispy.